DCer:Hey, how are you doing?
Tiara(me): I'm fine, how are you?
DCer: I'm great. Where are you from?
Me: Born in St.Louis, Raised in Atlanta, up here for school
DCer: What school do you go to?
Me: American University
DCer: WOW! You're smart! How do you like DC?
Me: HATE IT!!
DCer: You hate it? WHY?????
LOL... that a typical conversation that I have with people from DC. People want to know why I don't like D.C. that much. I just tell them, there's nothing to do around here! But it's deeper than that... It's not that I hate D.C., it's just... well... ok, here's my list lol, there's things that I don't like about D.C. and things that I just LOVE... my DCers, and ppl that have visited D.C... you be the judge:
Why I DISLIKE D.C.
1) Why the he** is the cost of living so high? Honestly... there's no reason for it! In Atlanta, I can rent a NICE apartment for about $500-600 a month, in D.C., ain't gonna happen. I can buy a AMAZING house for $150,000... in D.C... OOHHH NOOOO
2)It's too freakin cold (it's funny cause I want to move to New York when I graduate haha). But then in the summer time... ITS TOOO HOT!!!
3) People are MEAN! The first time I rode the metro, I got yelled at cause I was standing on the wrong side of the escaladers lol
4) Seriously... there's nothing much to do except go clubbing every day of the week. Seeing as I don't club like that, I need diversity. In Atlanta, there's a TON of events going on, especially during the summer. Live Jazz bands in the park for free with flea markets on the side. I can watch somebody play the saxaphone and buy some organic Shea Butter at the same time! lol
5) Ok, gas prices are high everywhere but come on... $4.50 from some Premium gas??? I don't understand.
6) What happened to the term "Chocolate City"??
7) Go-Go... everytime they play it on both major radio stations, I want to scream!! Sexy Lady, My Phatty, I'm Classy Not Trashy, Welcome to D.C. and all that is cool, but, I can only like so much.
8) The traffic and the streets. Why is there a New York Ave NW and a New York Ave NE????????? I can't tell you how many times I've gotten lost in D.C. lol and I have GPS on my phone!! And it takes me 15 minutes to get to work with no traffic... with traffic 30 minutes and it's never an accident, it's just too many dag on people in the streets
Why I LOVE D.C.
1) U Street- It's beautiful. So much art, so much history in one block. Bohemian Caverns, etc... I love it... except for the parking, but that can be overlooked.
2) The museums. I've only been to a hand full of museums but my goal is to go to *almost all of them (going to ALLL of them is impossible, but somebody has the Guiness World Record)
3) Georgetown (the city)- I love shopping, nuff said
4) It's really easy to find a job up here. In Atlanta... it's extremely difficult
It's sad, but that's about all that I can say about D.C. :(
Thursday, June 5, 2008
DCer:Hey, how are you doing?